This has been a busy, crazy week. I had two quilts that needed to be completed by yesterday. One is a Benartex quilt, that as soon as the pattern is published I will show some of the quilting. I quilted on Minkee for the first time and it wasn’t as bad as I’d heard. Minkee does have a bit of drag that I think is exacerbated by how much humidity is in the air…it’s been raining the last couple of days. One thing I do like is how well the quilting shows up on the back. I learned though, that less is more.
The second quilt was a customer quilt. I quilted right along, had it ready to take to the shop. I’d looked over this quilt several times before going there. My sweetie saw this quilt. When I flipped it over at the shop there were a couple of pleats in the back. I can not begin to tell you how embarassed I was! I emailed the owner and told her about the problem and am un-quilting a good section of the quilt. Taking out quilting takes 3 x longer than quilting it. I had the quilt at the shop where I work part-time and one of my co-workers has a Gammill. She’s had the same experience – got a customer quilt quilted flipped it over and right through the back the fabric had a big pleat running through it and of course she’s on a deadline and this quilt was headed some place big.
Over the last several months my friend Anne & I have been working on the Hoffman challenge.
Here’s a photo of the not yet finished quilt. I need to do a bit of fussy cutting and heat setting some applique pieces on the cream kite pieces. One thing we settled on pretty early is the feathered star. Anne has done a phenomenal job on the piecing. I only hope I can match her work with the quilting.
Now that I see the quilt on the wall like this – I’m not sure how to quilt it. Several ideas that I’ve had aren’t going to work. Hmmn. I do have to live with this. I’m open to suggestions. Mary Ann, Renee HELP!