Wow! Wow! Wow!

While Shadowing one of the Floriani Educators last week my brain went into high gear. She could see it as I sat in the back of the room listening to Sarabeth. I’m not using her real name because she isn’t a huge fan of social media, and I’m respecting that. Sarabeth presented each one of the stabilizers, sharing around samples for each one of the attendees to touch and feel. As makers that touchy-feely part is important.

The last day she showed the software from the Design Album right through FTC-U. In each program the icons are the same so if you’re in one program and get the next one, the interface is familiar, making it easy to navigate. I can assure you that, as someone who is learning the software from the ground up, this makes working in each environment way easier.

There is something I want to do and may yet figure out how to do what I want. If not I’ll draw it out and let the software do the digitizing for me.

Now for something completely different. This is Brilliant!

Yesterday I was determined! to make freestanding lace. In the software I designed something really cool, however it was in the wrong order and I wasn’t poking the right buttons to optimize the start/stops. And somehow I ended up with these crazy long stitches that make the whole piece seem weird. Then in typical me fashion I promptly forgot how I got from here to there. Gah.

first freestanding laceSo I made a piece of lace from the motifs that are in the B 560. In the top Floriani Silver Metallic. In the bobbin Floriani Silver Metallic. The needle – who knows. I put it in before my trip and haven’t checked what it is. The ONLY issue I had: the silver metallic and the eye of the bobbin sensor couldn’t see the silver thread, so the machine kept stopping “thinking” that there was no bobbin thread. Solution: turn off the sensor while completing the stitch out.

In the hoop were 2 layers of Wet N Gone. That’s it, because I forgot to add the topping but whatev’s. After the machine finished stitching (no thread breaks!) I cut the stabilizer about 1/4” away from the motif. I can use the scraps for something else later. I went downstairs to talk to my Sweetie, and fix dinner. While in the kitchen the lace went into a small bowl of water. I went for less than 2 minutes to talk to him about something and when I got back the Wet N Gone was gone! Gone. Not slimy, not icky. Just gone! The water didn’t feel weird either. What’s left? giving the lace a quick press with the pressing cloth so it lays flat.

Last night after an hour long conversation with Trish, the gal who is going to be my right arm and leg at the Dutchess show in a couple of weeks I figured it out again. So now, today’s job is to make that piece of lace, and cut out 2 1/2” squares for a project for Sew Much Cosplay. The big reveal will be after Cheryl and Tracy see it because I might give them sneak peeks, I might not.

Happy Quilting!

Teri

 

2 thoughts on “Wow! Wow! Wow!

  1. I love digitizing FSL! You will too. And so many applications both embroidery and quilting for it! Hang in there – you’re doing great!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s